I think I’ve tried most social media apps for phone and desktop at this stage and was happily using one particular one for ages when it suddenly dropped support for Facebook so off I went to look for another one. My requirements were simple enough. I needed to be able to update multiple social networks and profiles at once, mainly the different Twitter and Facebook profiles I manage. I needed a desktop or browser plugin version and I needed it to run without bugs, be intuitive and easy to use and be free. After a long enough search I settled on Hootsuite. Here’s my review.
- Multiple Social Network Management,
- Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Google+, Foursquare, WordPress,
- Social Profile Analytics,
- Scheduled Posts,
- Update multiple social networks at once,
- Teams and In-Company Communication (Pro only),
- Pull in and re-post RSS feeds,
- URL shortening,
- iOS & Android apps,
- Browser apps/plugins (Chrome & Firefox).
You can add 5 different *social profiles in the Free version which will probably be enough for most people but I’ve upgraded to the PRO version at about €7.70 per month to get 50 social profiles and extra reporting/analytics features.
* A social profile includes for example 1 Twitter account or 1 Facebook page OR personal profile etc.. A single Facebook account with personal profile and multiple pages does not count as just 1 profile.
Standout Features for me:
- Nice layout,
- Easy addition of new Tabs and Streams,
- Posting to multiple networks simultaneously,
- Android app syncing,
- Track brand/keyword mentions,
- Hootlet (Chrome plugin that lets you share a url you’re on via Hootsuite).
Here’s how my Hootsuite desktop app looks:
Sign up for a free trial of Hootsuite Pro and check it out..
Twitter is running on my PC all day (and on the iPhone when I’m away) and I dip in and out constantly but my head is wrecked trying to find a Twitter app that has all I need. Lots come close but all let me down in one crucial area. I’ve tried the following:
- Website – No alerts. Feature light.
- Hootsuite – No notifications for replies, dm’s only. Slightly slow as it runs in a browser. No visual marking of read/unread tweets. No sync with iPhone.
- Twhirl – Buggy. Keeps showing tweets as unread on startup. No Reply all. No iPhone app.
- Echofon – Almost featureless Firefox plugin.
- Tweetdeck – Too large a footprint on the PC and hard to read.
- Twitteriffic – No PC client.
- Tweetie – No PC client.
- Seesmic – No iPhone client. No Multiple accounts. No lasting highlighting of unread tweets.
- TwitBird – No PC client.
Here’s a list of specs I’d like to see:
- NB Proper syncing between Desktop and iPhone versions of the same client. I really need stuff I’ve already read on the PC to be marked read on the iPhone app and vice versa.
- Ease of use and visually minimalist.
- Highlight unread and Reply tweets.
- Scroll to first unread tweet.
- Control over notifications, ie – audio & visual push alerts.
- Preview Short url’s.
- Multiple accounts.
- Select account to tweet from on each new tweet.
- Show quick profile, stats and follow/unfollow links.
- Quick links to Reply, DM users.
- Favorite following.
- Auto shortlinking.
- Tweet audio, video and photos.
- Tweet and link stats.
- Text compression.
- Sync with Outlook address book.
- Filtering – see replies, dm’s only.
- Auto suggest Twitter handles and Hashtags when composing.
- Advanced search for tweets and Profiles.
- Send to Facebook, Linked, etc..on each new tweet.
- Schedule tweets.
- iPhone Autosave on exit.
- Conversation Threads
Please correct anything I may have got wrong above or point me to my ideal Twitter client!