Your website’s content is what its all about, useless, rambilng, uninformative content = useless site no matter how pretty it might be. Of course the content is left until last most of the time as both designers and clients fuss over colors, images, flash and whatever else but content should really come first. Continue reading Your Website Content
Call it what you will, a Forum, Discussion Board or Bulletin Board, its another great way of building up that all important rich content that the search engines love. Forums are quite common on the internet and you will see them attached to most of the major sites, usually as a cheap an automated way of providing customer support! Continue reading Add a Discussion Forum to your site
The single most effective way of optimizing your site or having it perform well in the search engines is to get as many links TO it as possible. Once upon a time and still to a certain extent today people were fixated with getting reciprocal links which means “I’ll give you a link if you give me one”! This method of trying to get Google to notice you is almost certainly useless as Google will look at the reciprocal link and think, oh they’ve done that just to impress us. Google normally doesn’t do what you tell it to and prefers instead to organically find your site on its own merits. Chances are that it will ignore ‘links’ pages with loads of outgoing links. Also it doesn’t really make sense to provide your visitors with a means of leaving your site does it!? Continue reading Get links into your Website
Adding a Blog to your private (hosted on your own server) website is generally regarded as a great way to attract the search engines and make your site that bit more interesting. This is because a regularly maintained and interesting blog adds a lot of CONTENT to your site and the search engines like lots of content. The content comes from what you yourself write about but also from what comments others leave in response to your posts. If you can manage to write as an authority in your subject/business area then others will find your content and ultimately your site when they search for related information online. Continue reading Add a Blog to your site
Here are some basic tips for getting your website noticed in the ocean of content that is the internet:
- Do not build your site entirely in Flash or using images as these are both invisible to search engines.
- Content is king and the more text (of the interesting and key-worded variety) you include on pages the better.
- This content should not all be on one page however as you will scare your visitors who are usually in a hurry and wont read a life story on one page.
- Spread your fantastic content over as many pages as you can, the more pages in your site the more Google likes you!
- Dont include huge images on your pages that take all day to download and appear as people will get tired waiting and so will Google.
- Use lots of bulleted and numbered lists (like this one!) and also use bold and heading text as Google will assume you are highlighting these words for a reason.
- Ask everyone you can think of (nicely) to provide a link to your site on theirs as the more links you have incoming the more important you are deemed.
- Go the lazy route and include Blogs and Forums on your site and let your visitors provide the keyword rich content for you!
- Include some interactivity on your site to engage your visitors and give them some reason to stay for a while and come back regularly.
- Employ a poor starving web designer (like me) to give your site a good kick up the SEO arse.