WordPress CMS is fantastic as we all know but possibly the best thing about it is its extensibility through the use of plugins. You can download or buy a plugin to do almost anytyhing you can imagine, from showing slideshows to managing full featured newsletter functionality. Heres a few of my favorite non-default plugins.
- Contact Form 7 – Pretty good form building with upload and captcha features.
- Exec-PHP – allows you to write and execute php code in widgets and content.
- Loudervoice – allows you to write reviews on your blog which are then picked up by Loudervoice.com.
- NextGen Gallery – create photo gallerys and flash slideshows with ease.
- Podpress – Full multimedia support and podcasting with a nice little player.
- TinyMCE Advanced – add extra buttons and functionality to the content editor such as tables.
- Subscribe to comments – let your commenters know when a post receives new comments.
- WorsPress.com Stats – keep track of your visitors and most popular posts.
- Comment Referrers – Tells you were commenters came from.
- Facebook Like Button – Add a Like button to your posts.
- Google Analyticator – Add Google analytics and track outbound links.
- Linkedin Share Button – Allow your visitors to share your content on Linkedin.
Here’s a few decent commercial WordPress plugins:
- Shopping Cart – Full e-commerce system for your site with Realex credit card processing module.
- Newsletter – Full newsletter system for wordpress al managed from the admin.
- Banner Ads – Display adverts on your blog with rotation and stats.
Remember to keep these plugins updated too once installed, you’ll see from admin which ones need updating.
2 thoughts on “Excellent & FREE WordPress Plugins”
Thanks Leon! Delighted you like the LinkedIn plugin enough to include it in the list!
You beat me to a very similar blog post too 🙂
No prob, hope you publish yours too!