I’m not a CD buyer anymore really but I’m a big Jack L fan and fan of a lot of the ‘27 club‘ – the club of rockers that died at the age of 27 and the music of which Jack covers on this album. My favourite 27 clubber is Jim Morrison so I had to hear Jack singing the Doors covers if nothing else and of all the artists Jack covers on this album, he’s chosen more Doors songs then any other artist (at least jointly!) which is cool! I have heard Jack and Jim mentioned in the same breath on many occasions and while he can’t scream like Morrison, he was made to sing Doors songs.
This album might finally be the one that moves Jack Lukeman onto a higher level of popularity than he’s had so far in his career. I’ve always put his lack of international success down to the simple fact that his songs are not exactly ‘pop’ and have a fairly dark edge, after all it can’t be for lack of talent. Through all the gigs I’ve seen Jack at from a boat in Leitrim to the Olympia, I don’t think I’ve ever heard him sing a bum note!
Some of the songs covered are not written by 27 clubbers themselves but covers they done which is slightly at odds with the marketing for this album but I guess the songs might have been made famous by their illustrious coverers. First off, the Doors songs. Wasn’t too impressed with “Touch Me” or “Alabama Song” the latter of which I would have thought suited Jack down to the ground but “The Crystal Ship” is class. It’s one of my favourite Doors songs anyway so that helped.
With “Love in Vain” by Robert Johnson, Jack playfully turns off the mic as I’ve seen him do in a few gigs to try recreate the old style sound of Johnson’s recordings. Works well..
For me, Jack L is best when he’s singing slow ballads so the slower songs on the album are standout for me but here’s a few of my favourites:
- Purple Haze – Probably the best song on the album, great ‘slow’ version with lovely electric piano. Reminds me of AIR,
- Smells Like Teen Spirit – Up there with Purple Haze, great to hear such a different version of the song,
- Paint It Black – Dark feel with lovely strings,
- The Crystal Ship – Lovely tune anyway! Some great Piano too,
- The Killing Moon – Lovely arrangement and strings,
- Love is a Losing Game – Moving version for obvious reasons.
Track List (Track – Band/27 Club member):
- Paint It Black – The Rolling Stones/Brian Jones
- Touch Me – The Doors/Jim Morrison
- The Killing Moon – Echo and the Bunnymen/Pete de Freitas
- Purple Haze – Jimi Hendrix
- Voodoo Child – Jimi Hendrix
- Goin’ Up The Country – Canned Heat/Alan Wilson
- Mercedes Benz – Janis Joplin
- Motorcycle Emptiness – Manic Street Preachers/Richey Edwards
- Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana/Curt Cobain
- Ruby Tuesday – The Rolling Stones/Brian Jones
- Up On The Roof – The Drifters/Rudy Lewis
- The Crystal Ship – The Doors/Jim Morrison
- Lithium – Nirvana/Curt Cobain
- Love Is A Losing Game – Amy Winehouse
- Keep Dancing – Jack L (This song is Jack’s own ‘dedication’ to the dead)
- Thirteen – Big Star/Chris Bell
- Jumpin’ Jack Flash – The Rolling Stones/Brian Jones
- Love In Vain – Robert Johnson
- Alabama Song – The Doors/Jim Morrison