Below are some results from a recent study undertaken by Sarah Diffley, Research Masters Student at Letterkenny Institute of Technology:
The total number of respondents who started the survey was 1,145. Of these respondents, 829 completed the survey. This constitutes an overall survey response rate of 72.4%. However, a quota sample of 376 was determined to be sufficient for the research at hand and so this amount was utilised for the research based on the judgement of the researcher as,
In quota sampling researcher judgement is used in establishing the categories and choosing the sample from the categories
(Wrenn et al., 2002, p.167).
Findings from the survey highlight the following key statistics:
- 73% of respondents use SNSs to connect with current friends, 65% to connect with old friends and 28% to make new friends.
- 67% of respondents either agreed or strongly agreed that the SNS they were most active on had become an important method of communication for them.
- Facebook is the SNS that respondents had been most active on in the last 30 days (53%)
- 30% of respondents had over 200 friends on their most active SNS, 25% between 100 and 199 friends, 20% between 50 and 99 friends, with 25% detailing they had less than 50 friends on their most active SNS.
- 84% of respondents have joined a group on a SNS.
- 51% of respondents have visited a company profile page on a SNS.
- 26% of respondents have completely public profiles on their most active SNS.
- 22% of respondents have had a negative experience on their SNS, which include viruses, unwanted friend requests, spam, online predators and bullying.
Product and Marketing Findings:
- 17% of respondents make comments to friends about products on SNSs.
- 37% of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that they would make comments to their friends on the SNSs about products if that product was of interest to them.
- 52% of respondents outlined that when a person is a close friend offline, they are influential on a SNS, 40.7% highlighted that they are influential when they are members of their family.
- 51% of respondents explained that they would discuss products with friends on a SNS to provide friends with product information relevant to them and 41% to voice their opinion.
- 40% of respondents have clicked on an advertisement on a SNS.
- 24% of respondents with agreed or strongly agreed that SNSs have become over-commercialised.
- 57% of respondents highlighted that they notice advertisements on SNSs but 53% detailed that they do not like the presence of advertisements on their SNS. Furthermore 43% of respondents noted that they do not trust advertisements on SNSs.
Many thanks to all those who took part in the survey. It is greatly appreciated and contributed significantly to my research.
If you would like to contact Sarah in relation to these survey results, please leave a comment.