WordPress is an ever evolving system with new and updated functionality being added on a regular basis. While it’s not strictly necessary to constantly keep your core WordPress installation and additional plugins up to date, it’s advisable to do so. Here are the benefits:
- Keep your version of WordPress Secure,
- Overwrite potentially corrupt or attacked files in old installs,
- Benefit from newly added Functionality,
- Speed up your site,
- Benefit from plugin improvments.
The latest versions of WordPress include the ability to quickly update itself and related plugins from the admin but in my experience, this doesn’t always work smoothly. Some Hosting servers can’t handle the auto upgrade functionality at all and if upgrading breaks half way through and the process doesn’t complete, you can be left with a badly broken site.
Also, plugin versions and WordPress versions sometimes need to match and you might find that if you upgrade one, it breaks the other. The cost of having your site fixed by a web developer might be much more expensive than just preventing the problem in the first place.
My Yearly *Wordpress Service contract at just €50 per year includes the following:
- Twice yearly upgrade of the core WordPress system,
- Regular upgrading of installed Plugins,
- Compatability Testing on all upgrades.
* I say ‘contract’ but there’s no actual contract or signing of anything so you’re not tied in!